Our delegates Jayne Birkett, Chloe Hopkins, Patrick Wilkinson, Martin Devanney and Clare Wildey have made it back from the Labour Party Conference in Liverpool safe and sound! We’re really envious of them witnessing the energy of a re-vitalised party that is just itching to get into government and put in place our manifesto of policies for the Many, not the Few! Here are some of the announcements made by Jeremy and the rest of the Shadow Cabinet:
- Bringing the privatised water industry back into public ownership.
- Giving almost 11 million workers shares in the companies they work for.
- Ensuring workers have the right to take up a third of seats on company boards.
- Renationalising the railways, energy companies and the Post Office.
- Ending period poverty by handing out free sanitary products in schools, food banks and homeless shelters.
- Ending the huge interest rates imposed by some credit card companies to help those trapped in credit card debt.
- Extending free childcare to all two-year olds and further subsidised hours on top of the 30 hours at no extra cost for the lowest income households and £4 an hour for the rest.
- Keeping the triple lock on pensions, maintaining the winter fuel allowance, free bus passes for pensioners as well as a national health and care service “that can look after you and your families with respect”.
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050 would be achieved by delivering the most “far-reaching programme of investment and transformation” in the green energy sector in decades.
These are exciting times for the Labour Party, and the tide is turning against the greed and selfishness of the Tory government. Labour are a government in waiting and we can’t wait to steer this country back to being a fair, open and equal society that works for the Many, not the Few!